Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Best Laid Plans


Big dreams are very seductive. Not so big as to be completely unattainable, but the kind you can build on and get nicely carried away with.

I had my doubts about starting a blog. It's not like there aren't a million of them already and I'm pretty sure I'm talking to myself out here, so what am I up to, really? Well, self-expression mostly. Humans have been responding to that yearning for connection to the creative force since the very beginning, I suspect. I can talk to myself in the car or I can do it here, and this is frankly more fun.

But I wasn't going to start this journey if I didn't think I had something to contribute, so I made a little outline of what I might like to touch on. And that's when it started to get interesting.

A planned feature here is a series of book and exhibition reviews. Trouble is, I'm a fairly voracious reader (at least by current standards) and just undisciplined enough to be as yet unable to slow down long enough between books to write the darn review. The same is true for the exhibition reviews, although I'm sad to admit that the reading and art-making have distracted me from actually viewing current exhibits. For shame!

So, confessions aside, here's a promise to try and do better in those areas. There's quite a backlog of books to review, so it might take a bit. I'm a card-carrying member of four different libraries here locally and my bedside table looks like a Seussian cityscape made of books. And summer's almost here, bringing the promise of a little more gallery-hopping time in my life.

If there is somebody out there, hopefully being enlightened or at least entertained, I don't want to leave you hanging. Here's to dreaming!

~P

No comments:

Post a Comment